Wednesday, June 25, 2014

welcome! and thanks for following, this is my first post, and this is new for my so I will do my best to keep this interesting enough that you will want to come back. So what do I do and why domestic dude and what do i design. Well to make a 25 year story short I will cut to it - I sew home accessories and make lampshades, not super glamorous or interesting i know and many people do it so how am I different?  90% of my projects I use vintage fabrics I started collection about 26 years ago- the first fabric I picked up was 8 panels of bark cloth- elm trees in several shades of green- I have yet to use that fabric. When my oldest daughter was born I wanted to outfit her room in vintage fabrics - being an interior designer I had grand ideas of what I wanted but no money, my wife and I were just beginning our careers soIi had to teach myself to sew the things I had going on in my head. slow at first and not one to sit through a class, I taught myself by ripping thing apart and sewing them again a bit of reading books (you know the ones with real paper pages, remember I am old the internet was very new then) between the ripping and reading I was able to do most of what I wanted. lighting was the next areas of interest, so in much the same way I taught myself to make lampshades. but like most hobbies, life moves in andIi had to put the lampshade making aside but continued to sew items for my girls - handbags, hats scarfs, Halloween costumes etc. fast forward to 3 years ago, economy was bad, work load was light so I decided that maybe I could sell some of the items I had been making for my girls- I began to sell a few things at a local shop, had a few followers not a lot but enough to keep me busy. One day about 18 months ago started making lampshades.  This gave me a way to use more of the vintage fabrics I had been collecting. Fast forward again to today,  I have been lucky enough to find 2 great shops that sell my vintage fabric covered shades and I still buy fabric. so iIwould like to share these with you. so here I go.......
 
here are a few shades i make last week for a shop -not sure why the picture is very colorful but if it was you would see the bright yellow in the checks, bright teal in the plaid and the retro mustard color in the small square shade.

 
here is another one i was working on since completed - make from vintage 1940s drapes.

                                                           likw the color green - calming

nice after an long dark cold winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment